Recipients of the Carpenter’s Helper (Basic Skills) credential have demonstrated concept proficiency and completed the following tasks:
Student demonstrates work ethics/employability skills.
- ___ Reports to work area and dresses appropriately for work.
- ___ Has all supplies needed to perform work
- ___ Starts work promptly
- ___ Asks instructor for assistance if needed.
- ___ Stays on task. (Does not abuse bathroom or water breaks)
- ___ Follows safety rules and demonstrates correct social skills at all times.
- ___ Asks instructor for work assignment if necessary
- ___ Cleans up work area at the end of the period without being asked
- ___ Works cooperatively with others on group projects
- ___ Works independently after being assigned a task
- ___ Accepts constructive criticism
- ___ Notifies school/employer of absence or tardiness
- ___ Accepts and performs additional tasks willingly
Student maintains a safe work environment by:
- ___ Following universal safety precautions
- ___ Storing all equipment, materials and supplies correctly
- ___ Following cleanup procedures at end of the workday
- ___ Performing basic and/or routine maintenance of equipment
Student is familiar with safety concepts and safe work habits.
- ___ Displays a safe attitude when working
- ___ Performs work in a safe manner with out being told
- ___ Identifies potential dangers and understands their consequences in independent work situations.
Student can identify and/or use tools in the basic tool groups.
- ___ Measuring tools
- ___ Hand tools
- ___ Small power tools
- ___ Large power tools
Student will be able to read a 1/16 scale.
- ___ Identify and measure the 1/16th mark
- ___ Identify and measure the 1/4th mark on the 16th scale
- ___ Identify and measure the 1/8th mark on the 16th scale
- ___ Identify and measure the ½ mark on the 16th scale
- ___ Identify and measure the ¾ mark on the 16th scale
- ___ Measures distances in inches and feet
Student will be able to identify lumber/sheetrock.
- ___ Identify and select proper size lumber
- ___ Identify and select correct lumber, plywood and sheetrock.
- ___ Identify types of wood.
Student can identify the types and sizes of fasteners/hardware.
- ___ Staples, nails and screws
- ___ Hinges